Paul Hemmings
6 posters
AuthorMessage
Paul Hemmings
Games Master
Games Master
Paul Hemmings

Leicester are Premiership Champions... Empty
PostSubject: Leicester are Premiership Champions...   Leicester are Premiership Champions... Icon_minitimeWed 4 May - 9:04

I still can't believe they did it, but looking back over some of their game footage they definitely wanted it more than we did at Man City, so good luck to them.

I'm not sure this could ever happen in our game ? should it ? or is it just such a huge one-off that we should ignore it ? and if we do want it to be able to happen in our game how the hell do you plug it into the coding ? 

I'd be interested to know what people thought were the things that Leicester did so right in order to land the title, what are their secrets ?
Back to top Go down
Paul Hemmings
Games Master
Games Master
Paul Hemmings

PostSubject: Re: Leicester are Premiership Champions...   Leicester are Premiership Champions... Icon_minitimeWed 4 May - 9:06

Things I noticed.

1) Always played their best 11 in every game.

2) Played a counter attacking style, esp against us where their speed ripped us apart at will.

3) The spine of their team were their star players.
This is how they lined up against us.
Schmeichel GK, Huth CB, Drinkwater MG, Mahrez TM and Vardy CF.

Last edited by Paul Hemmings on Wed 4 May - 13:39; edited 2 times in total
Back to top Go down
Tom@Charlton
World Star - 99/99
World Star - 99/99
Tom@Charlton

PostSubject: Re: Leicester are Premiership Champions...   Leicester are Premiership Champions... Icon_minitimeWed 4 May - 9:57

Absolutely, their spine was the key.  Kante was a massive part of that too, so much energy and his tackling and interception stats are off the scale.

Their tactic certainly worked a treat, and the speed they had definitely helped massively.

Will it be different next year when teams sit back against them more happy to take a draw like they do against the other big teams.

Think they did get very fortunate with injuries too, don't remember any of their first 11 being out at all.
Again next year, with midweek games in Europe, will it be a different story.  Will be interesting to see how they approach the summer transfer window.
Back to top Go down
Rob@Barcelona
World Star - 99/99
World Star - 99/99
Rob@Barcelona

PostSubject: Re: Leicester are Premiership Champions...   Leicester are Premiership Champions... Icon_minitimeWed 4 May - 10:03

I think they did some things right and also had some luck (but do you make your own luck?).

Totally agree, that always played their strongest team and stuck to the same formation which allowed that team to play to it's strengths. In addition to the players above I think Wes Morgan at CB was phenomenal and Kante as an AM/BW owned pretty much every team he played against. 

The fact that they were able to have a consistent team and tactic also let the weaker players play beyond themselves too with Albrighton and Simpson in particular playing well beyond their previous best.

Very few injuries helped plus no European football and relatively early cup exits also meant fewer games. I think the fewer games means fitter/less tired players and therefore reduces injuries. 

In terms of our game I think it already works like this to an extent. If you did what Leicester do versus a squad stuffed with stars who are rotated en masse you will more likely win as a constant side with few changes performs better. It also helps to identify your stars and play to those strengths. Ben and I have been discussing this and there is a lot to be said for a balanced team rather than a disparate group of 25+ world beaters.
Back to top Go down
Andy@Schalke
World Star - 99/99
World Star - 99/99
Andy@Schalke

PostSubject: Re: Leicester are Premiership Champions...   Leicester are Premiership Champions... Icon_minitimeWed 4 May - 15:14

I think that a major influence, throughout the season, was team bonding.

Every single one of the players knew what their job was; knew how and when to press; trusted their team-mates.

The character/demeanor of the players enabled them to get the best out of themselves AND each other. Brilliant management? Or very lucky? Both I'd say...

The remarkable lack of egotistical 'problems' during the season shows what a TEAM of 'misfits' can do.

I reckon we might well see some egos appearing during the summer transfer window - and that'll be that for Leicester. The demands of champs lge will have a massive effect on the defense of the title - no chance I'm afraid.

I've no idea how you'd incorporate the fact that certain players just 'gel'. And some players would 'gel' more than others! For us managers, we'd need to be given attributes about a players' character in order to work out who might gel with who, and these stats might be different depending upon what system you play or what 'type' of manager you are (however you work THAT out). Good luck with that!

It's gone Leicester mad in Leicester! At the weekend, I noticed all these shops had suddenly sprouted Leicester window displays! And I mean ALL of them!!!
Back to top Go down
Dave@Villa
International 94/94
International 94/94
Dave@Villa

PostSubject: Re: Leicester are Premiership Champions...   Leicester are Premiership Champions... Icon_minitimeWed 4 May - 15:38

What I'd like to know is if the likes of Schmeichel and Okozaki are finally going to get the world class rating they deserve  Rolling Eyes lol!
Back to top Go down
Stuart@WestHam
League Two - 86/86
League Two - 86/86
Stuart@WestHam

PostSubject: Re: Leicester are Premiership Champions...   Leicester are Premiership Champions... Icon_minitimeTue 17 May - 20:20

I think a team with an unchanged line-up and well drilled tactically that have big skills in the right areas should be able to win the league in CF.  A TM with exceptional passing, dribbling, shooting and knowledge ...an all round forward with superb pace, shooting and good heading like Vardy has who can exploit the spaces when breaking quickly.  It shouldn't be easy, but it should be possible.  Probably needs a good AM/BW like Kante aswell to shore things up.  That Leicester team was built on a superb spine and a superb spine should be able to win the title with 4 or 5 average/good players in the other positions if the whole team is tactically astute.
Back to top Go down

Leicester are Premiership Champions...
Page 1 of 1