Champions League

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
Ben@Plymouth
World Star - 99/99
World Star - 99/99

Champions League Empty
PostSubject: Champions League   Champions League Icon_minitimeThu 17 Mar - 11:54

Hi All,

Want to run something by everyone.

Seems to be that the CL isn't a priority for most people, unlike in real life. Wanted to see if this was the case and if so why?

Could there be extra incentive for winning/ doing well in the CL rather than winning the league - financial etc in order to encourage teams to go as far as they can - would this make it more like real life?

Thanks

Ben
Back to top Go down
Tom
World Star - 99/99
World Star - 99/99

Champions League Empty
PostSubject: Re: Champions League   Champions League Icon_minitimeThu 17 Mar - 21:28

what would make it better if mickey mouse rubbish didnt play in these competitions. what i'd like to see paul do is keep teams like your sevilla's, dortmund's, zenit etc (basically the next set of good european clubs after the elite ones that qualify for europe year in year out) with a good squad of players and build them up. i still think it would be better that both the CL and Uefa Cup were reduced to two 16 team competitions with the top two going thru in each instead of just the top team in the current set up. atleast this way with fewer teams the competitions would both be stronger and make it much more interesting. i just dont see the point in having the likes of dundee, gornik and gothernburg in these compeitions when they are rediculously poor and are just a cause for embarrassment, in my case anyway.

as it is, the only reason i enter europe is because it gives my squad more competitive football and means my reserves can stay happy by playing in these games.
Back to top Go down

Champions League Empty
PostSubject: Re: Champions League   Champions League Icon_minitimeThu 17 Mar - 22:46

agree stu.

although im quite happy with the current format i would like to see a better quality of team in there, like u say the second teir of europe so to speak.

would be even better if to enter the champions league u have to qualify for it so theres an element of prestige about it.

i also agree with ben, without wanting to wash the game with money again there should surely be a some sort of cash revenue for reach the knockout stages, semis and final i think rob and tom got 1m and 500k respectively for getting to the final last year.

nothing too substantial or life changing but at least something to pay the bills for an extra week or two.
Back to top Go down
Tom@Charlton
World Star - 99/99
World Star - 99/99
Tom@Charlton

Champions League Empty
PostSubject: Re: Champions League   Champions League Icon_minitimeThu 17 Mar - 22:55

Absolutely. Would like to see a lot more finanacial reward for the European competitions.

Found the European fixtures to be a bit of a problem this year, even with a big squad. More hassle than they are worth to be honest, especially after the pittance of a reward for last seasons run.

Will probably enter again next year though, but just to field the second eleven as seems quite common.

A large finanacial reward would see me persist with my stronger sides though.

However, I couldn't argue if I wasn't allowed in Europe due to my lowly league position, as I do agree with Stu that the competition should be full of top top sides.
Back to top Go down

Champions League Empty
PostSubject: Re: Champions League   Champions League Icon_minitimeThu 17 Mar - 23:13

I'm not against increasing the financial reward for the European competitions. But if it were to happen I would like to see the cash coming from other areas of the game rather than it being a straight increase. Recent changes have made cash a bit more valuable in the game which is great. But there's still a bit too much money floating about in the game IMO. The vast majority of deals done are still player swaps rather than for straight cash.
Back to top Go down
Tom
World Star - 99/99
World Star - 99/99

Champions League Empty
PostSubject: Re: Champions League   Champions League Icon_minitimeThu 17 Mar - 23:14

btw, just incase it looked like it, i wasn't saying that charlton shouldn't be in the comeptition tom, i was referring to just the sides that are complete tosh - on paper and reputation. your charlton are good on paper so i don't see any problem with a league 1 side being in it, but its a problem when a team of 84 cr's in scotland are neither good in real life or in the game.

i think the game is financially quite well balanced, i think if paul were to up the money for the CL and Europa League then he should perhaps do away with the money earnt in the international tournament, where really only the winner should get any prize money. i got 5m for going out in the group stage of the world cup last year and whilst it was nice, i think the prize money on offer their would be better off filtered into the club competitions.

CL and Uefa cup with 16 teams is more ideal in my opinion, it would be pretty hard for paul to get two 32 team club comps filled with decent sides, whereas two 16 team comps is more do-able, with about half of them being our teams paul would only need to include 16 or so reality/unmanaged sides with decent squads.
Back to top Go down

Champions League Empty
PostSubject: Re: Champions League   Champions League Icon_minitimeThu 17 Mar - 23:20

Stuart@Roma wrote:

i think the game is financially quite well balanced, i think if paul were to up the money for the CL and Europa League then he should perhaps do away with the money earnt in the international tournament, where really only the winner should get any prize money. i got 5m for going out in the group stage of the world cup last year and whilst it was nice, i think the prize money on offer their would be better off filtered into the club competitions.
This
Back to top Go down
Tom@Charlton
World Star - 99/99
World Star - 99/99
Tom@Charlton

Champions League Empty
PostSubject: Re: Champions League   Champions League Icon_minitimeThu 17 Mar - 23:26

Stuart@Roma wrote:
btw, just incase it looked like it, i wasn't saying that charlton shouldn't be in the comeptition tom, i was referring to just the sides that are complete tosh - on paper and reputation. your charlton are good on paper so i don't see any problem with a league 1 side being in it, but its a problem when a team of 84 cr's in scotland are neither good in real life or in the game.

Don't worry Stu, didn't think you were suggesting that against Charlton.
Think your ideas for a higher standard European competition are spot on, ie a 16 team competition.

Also feel the international prize money needs looking at and would be much better served as european prize money instead.

Good work fella!

Last edited by Tom@Charlton on Thu 17 Mar - 23:27; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down

Champions League Empty
PostSubject: Re: Champions League   Champions League Icon_minitimeThu 17 Mar - 23:27

[quote="Tom@Charlton"][quote="Stuart@Roma"]btw, just incase it looked like it, i wasn't saying that charlton shouldn't be in the comeptition tom, i was referring to just the sides that are complete tosh - on paper and reputation. your charlton are good on paper so i don't see any problem with a league 1 side being in it, but its a problem when a team of 84 cr's in scotland are neither good in real life or in the game.

Quote :

Don't worry Stu, didn't think you were suggesting that against Charlton.
Think your ideas for a higher standard European competition are spot on, ie a 16 team competition.

Also feel the international prize money needs looking at and would be much better served as european prize money instead.

Good work fella!

agree
Back to top Go down
Tom
World Star - 99/99
World Star - 99/99

Champions League Empty
PostSubject: Re: Champions League   Champions League Icon_minitimeThu 17 Mar - 23:33

last season the internationals generated 15 x 5m and 1 x 10m = 85m. i think just the winner and three semi-finalists should get prize money. 1.5m for going out in the semi's, 2m for the losing finalist and 5m for the winner (total of 10m). that way the only people getting the prize money in internationals is those that actually qualify from the group stage, tough luck for everyone else, which i think is right. that would leave 75m of prize money which could then be spread across to the club competitions.

this is just a suggestion:

CL:

out in group stage: 2m
out in q-f: 4m
out in semi-final: 8m
finalist: 10m
winner: 15m

EL:

out in group stage: 1m
out in q-f: 2m
out in semi-final: 4m
finalist: 6m
winner: 8m

Last edited by Stuart@Roma on Thu 17 Mar - 23:45; edited 2 times in total
Back to top Go down
Tom@Charlton
World Star - 99/99
World Star - 99/99
Tom@Charlton

Champions League Empty
PostSubject: Re: Champions League   Champions League Icon_minitimeThu 17 Mar - 23:45

Spot on stu, completely agree!
Back to top Go down
Tom
World Star - 99/99
World Star - 99/99

Champions League Empty
PostSubject: Re: Champions League   Champions League Icon_minitimeThu 17 Mar - 23:47

i think it looks fair for those comps, pretty realistic i think. it should be mentioned to paul perhaps.
Back to top Go down
Ben@Plymouth
World Star - 99/99
World Star - 99/99

Champions League Empty
PostSubject: Re: Champions League   Champions League Icon_minitimeFri 18 Mar - 8:42

I think that is defo a good suggestion Stu however is there not a bigger problem in the fact that money is not worth what it should be in the game? Esp in England where there are limited quality players a 30million offer is worthless if u can't spend that 30 million elsewhere.

To make Europe a top priority we need also to look at this issue- any suggestions on how to get it to work better?

More of a question but as apposed to merely a suggestion, as well as swapbid's will reality managers take cash bids on players? Perhaps double there tribunal value? If this does not currently happen will certainly help with making money more of a priority.

Back to top Go down
Rob@Barcelona
World Star - 99/99
World Star - 99/99
Rob@Barcelona

Champions League Empty
PostSubject: Re: Champions League   Champions League Icon_minitimeFri 18 Mar - 9:58

Having won the Europa League last season this is miles higher than the actual prize money. I agree European competitions are under-rewarded and therefore most people use them as a decent way of giving fringe players games rather than trying to win.
Back to top Go down
Tom
World Star - 99/99
World Star - 99/99

Champions League Empty
PostSubject: Re: Champions League   Champions League Icon_minitimeSat 19 Mar - 13:43

its higher indeed rob but in the example here, you'n no longer get the guaranteed international prize money of 5m for just taking part in the world cup. i dont think 1m for competing in the EL is too daft an amount, most people would actually get a little less prize money and the main benefits would be to those that reach the later rounds (of the EL, CL and WC) which i think is better - its a bit silly that we all get 5m for just managing an international team whether we win it or lose every game. all prize monies should be earnt in order to get reward and having them set up like this will mean everyone is trying their hardest to win and progress, instead of us all seeing them as a bit of a jolly for our fringe players. i'm not saying we don't already take it seriously because i want to win all my games and i'm sure everybody else does, but their should be better rewards and more incentive for doing well and progressing in the CL and EL as opposed to just getting money for showing up in the world cup.
Back to top Go down

Champions League
Page 1 of 1