Championship Football Play By Mail PBM

Football Club Management Simulation

HomeSiteLatest imagesLog inRegister

Ten things we didn't already know

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage

Ten things we didn't already know Empty
PostSubject: Ten things we didn't already know   Ten things we didn't already know Icon_minitimeSat Aug 28, 2010 8:42 am

Ok, so it's bank holiday weekend, and we're all sulking that we can't read about Prestons failure to upset the odds and overcome the foxes. Rob's busy with bunny girls, and we're all obviously upset about that. So I thought we'd get a topic going in the hope it may provide some mild entertainment until we get our turns on Wednesday, which might as well be bloody March it seems so far away.

Ok, so it's week 1. Let's delve a bit deeper

Q1. What is a 'good season' for your clubs?
A1. Leicester, must be looking to go straight through League 1. It'll be tough as Charlton found a winning formula, but I'm hoping that the overhaul at the Valley, and the inevitable revolving door at Fratton Park, may just let a relatively settled Foxes side sneak in despite having been along way off Charlton until a few weeks ago.
Chievo - finally attain a settled 11, and mid-table in Serie B would be acceptable.

Q2. What is your 'acid test' Fixture?
A. Pompey away I think. It should determine the season, if I don't take 3/4 points from Pompey then I think I'll struggle to go up automatically.

Q3. Most important player for the coming season?
A. Must keep Pavluchenko fit, has started like a train.

Q4. Do you anticipate any tacticle changes?
A. Not really, I do want to develop a 'plan b', and become less predictable.

Q5. Which of your summer signings do you need to settle the quickest?
A. Michael Carrick.

Q6. Which piece of summer business are you happiest with?
A. David Dunn for a million quid.

Q7. Which of your players will be in your starting 11 for week 1, but you hope he doesn't feature in week 22.
A. Good question, I guess I'm looking for a high quality AM and additions at CB, and I always think you should only sign players that will impove the side/squad, so although it's no reflection on their performances for the club, I'd be dissapointed if Bougherra and Zokora were still first choice come week 22.

Q8. Given a magic wand, which of your rivals (in your division) players would you like to see in your clubs colours?
A. Toughy. I like Crouch, but I'd have to say Beckham of Charlton, even just for one season.

Q9. Who will finish as leading scorer in your division?
A. I think Pavlyuchenko will be up there, but probably Kezman if Stu keeps him.

Q10. Are you planning on entering European competition?
A. Nope. The league is our priority, I don't see the point in stretching the squad.

(well, interviewing myself entertained me for about 8 minutes..now, where's my postman?)
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Ten things we didn't already know   Ten things we didn't already know Icon_minitimeSat Aug 28, 2010 10:08 am

Q1. What is a good season for you club?
After 2 successive automatic promotions I think it would be pushing it to expect a 3rd. Plus the Championship is a much tougher league considering the teams that have been relegated from the Prem this year.
Also, I've made a few changes again so it'll be a slow start. My team isnt as solid or experienced as Watford or Fulham so Im hoping for playoffs and for the team to be firing on all cylinders towards the seasons end.

Q2. Acid test fixture?
Probably at home against the big teams relegated from the Prem, and home to Watford is the biggie. Not expecting much away from home.

At the moment it's SWP. But Jack Wilshere and Sandro Ranieri are going to be vital too.

Q4. Do you anticipate any tactical changes?
Yes, Im a tinkerman. And worse, I'm a tinkerman who doesnt know what he's doing.

Q5. Which summer siging needs to settle quickest?
Sandro Ranieri (that is when he's actually played a game for Spurs and signed for Hull!)

Kieran Gibbs

Q7. Which of your players will be in the starting XI for week 1, but you hope doest feature by week 22?
RB Anthony Vanden Borre. He's my utility man, cos I havent got a RB that fits into my plans yet

Q8. Which of your rivals players would you like to see in your club colours?
Darren Bent

Q9. Leading scored in your division?
Hull score a lot of goals so Hugo Rodallega will have a chance.

Q10. European competition?
I'd like to have a go but I havent got a big enough or good enough squad yet.
Back to top Go down
Rob@Barcelona
World Star - 99/99
World Star - 99/99
Rob@Barcelona

PostSubject: Re: Ten things we didn't already know   Ten things we didn't already know Icon_minitimeSat Aug 28, 2010 4:23 pm

A1. Inter - top 3 and a win in the Coppa Italia or in Europe. A dream season would be to lift the Scudetto. Boca - the league and cup double should be a no brainer and not hitting the treble would be a disappointment.

A. Away games at Milan, Empoli, Roma, Juve, Napoli and Cremonese. I must get points away from home at the big teams. Boca - the Libertadores final.

A. Eto'o for his goals. And over at Boca it's Mati Fernandez.

A. No. With more options I'd like to refine a plan B using the pace of Pato and Ramires.

A. van der Vaart is key he's got to hit the ground running. Over at Boca Mati Fernandez has to own the League from week 1.

A. Andrea Poli coming in as a swap for Rene Krhin. And bringing in Lloris as a back up keeper is an amazing safety net.

Q7. Which of your players will be in your starting 11 for week 1, but you hope he doesn't feature in week 22.
A. Wow ... tough one. Maybe Marchisio. I would like a stronger DL.

Q8. Given a magic wand, which of your rivals (in your division) players would you like to see in your clubs colours?
A. Ummmmmm. Probably Pirlo.

A. Ibra or Eto'o or could be Higuain or Aguero, maybe Milito, possibly Fabiano .............. Hold on forgot Quagliarella, Gilardino, Borriello. Italy is tough.

A. That's the point of building a squad. The idea of getting beaten by Plymouth, Real, Barca or Schalke is what the game is all about.
Back to top Go down
Phil@Watford
World Star - 99/99
World Star - 99/99
Phil@Watford

Order Sheet
CLUB:

PostSubject: Re: Ten things we didn't already know   Ten things we didn't already know Icon_minitimeSat Aug 28, 2010 8:28 pm

for the mighty gunners, after my first season in the premiership i got relagated, but this time round im coming with a settleted and stronger team i believe. so anywhere in the top 4 will happily do me.

Q2. Acid test fixture?
well that would be either Plymouth or Man City away. also a classic match agaisnt mark is due after drumbing me 4-0 and 5-0 first time round. mmmmm tastes nice to beat mark!

thats obvious, TEVEZ. keep him fit and he should be up there with the high scores.

there is one thing i might tweak, but i need to get the player in first before i can even think about changing the tactics lol.

Chamakh would be good, other the that most the players i signed are just for more deapth and reserves.

Chamakh, cost me 0 zero nothing.

Q7. Which of your players will be in the starting XI for week 1, but you hope doest feature by week 22?
well Hleb, would be nice to get a younger player at DL or even Almunia. would love to get a keeper that actualy plays well once a season.

most people in the PL would want Rooney, but i have tevez, so im gonna say Pepe Reina, to replace clamity almunia.

rooney will bag a few, but im also backing tevez to fire them in. otherwise im screwed!!

well as a season ticket holder once more... i shall be entered into the europa or CL depends how lucky i feel lol.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Ten things we didn't already know   Ten things we didn't already know Icon_minitimeSat Aug 28, 2010 8:57 pm

Q1.
A. For Bohemians it has to be the domestic double. Anything less will be viewed as me to be a failure, what would make it a great season is to win at least one european game and to not get embarrisingy drubbed in all of the games played. For Marseille it has to be 'newing in' at least 15 players, playing with U21 players and gaining a top 8 finish. With Italy getting to the quarter final stage in the world cup (presuming we have one) as I want to go with a much younger squad than won the world cup last season.

Q2.
A. With Bohemians it has to be Cherry Orchard, regardless off the fact that they only have 12 players in this game, and are in fact an amature youth set up from Ballyfermot in Dublin who do not even have a ground. Owing to the fact that they have an historical link to Man City. Playing against them always means that 4 or 5 of my best players will get mysterious 1 week injuries for that match and another couple will get a sending off during the previous fixture. Therefore 2 points off of them will show I have a good enough squad to cope.

Q3.
A. Miralem Pjanic. I play a fast passing game and everything revolves around a highly skilled TM.

Q4.
A. Yes. Iam going to introduce CAT at a late stage of the game as I have two ready made players with great passing skills to enable this and also good overlapping fullbacks.

Q5.
A. Jefferson Farfan who will bring perfect balance to my set up with his pace, skill and inciveness on the right complimenting Angel Di Maria on the left.

Q6.
A. Jefferson Farfan, I really wondered if I would get away with it. Also Franco Zuculini. Fantasic signings that would better much greater clubs than Bohemians.

Q7.
A. With Bohemians it is too hard to call as I will be giving every player in my squad playing time this season, and with a small squad this is possible. I am happy with what I have got and want to go for a season without doing any transfer dealings with Bohemians. With Marseille however anything is possible dependant whom I bring in, but in all probabilty not one of the week 1 eleven will be there at week 22.

Q8.
A. Not a single one.

Q9.
A. Djibril Cisse. And if it is Marcus Stewart again I shall go nut's and be forced into breaking into Paul's house and putting red ant's into his underwear drawer.

Q10.
A. With Bohemians. Absolutely and utterly yes, I want the squad to get as much experience as possible, even if it is just a few more games in the group stage. With Marseille. No way.

Back to top Go down
Jamie@Watford
International 94/94
International 94/94

PostSubject: Re: Ten things we didn't already know   Ten things we didn't already know Icon_minitimeSun Aug 29, 2010 12:44 am

Q1. What is a good season for your clubs?
Watford - Promotion to the Premiership
Ancona - Avoid relegation from serie A

Q2. Acid test fixture?
Watford - all games against the 3 relegated sides and H & A against Hull
Ancona - every game against a managed side

Watford - Vincent Kompany
Ancona - Jeremy Toulalon
Both players hold everything together!

Watford - might tinker a bit in the hope of scoring more goals, maybe the introduction of a PM instead of an AM, especially for home games.
Ancona - might move from WHV to MIX

Watford - Darren Bent - not technically a summer signing but a recent signing who I need on form soon as goals have been hard to come by this season.
Ancona - Oscar Cardozo - need goals straight away if I'm going to avoid relegation!

Watford - Christion Poulsen
Ancona - Oscar Cardozo

Q7. Which of your players will be in the starting XI for week 1, but you hope doesn't feature by week 22?
Watford - Lionel Scaloni for obvious reasons
Ancona - Rogerio Vagner he's done Ancona proud last season scoring loads of goals, but honestly have no idea who he is!!

Watford - possibly Nigel De Jong of Liverpool or Gary Cahill of Reading
Ancona - definitely Arshavin

Watford - Bent or Agbonlahor
Ancona - No idea - too many top forwards to mention

Hopefully both in the Europa league
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Ten things we didn't already know   Ten things we didn't already know Icon_minitimeSun Aug 29, 2010 6:33 pm

right, lets keep this simple...

1, good season for your club?

win the league

2, acid test fixture?

ac milan never even got a point of em

3, most important player coming in?

busquets and mexes

4, do you anticipate a tactical change

no

5, summer signing that needs to settle the quickest

rafinha

6, summer business that im happiest with?

dunno, general all round improvement of the squad

7, player in week 1 starting 11 which needs to have fucked off by the end of the season?

artur boruc, need a better keeper

8, rival player you'd like to see in your clubs colours?

lloris would be an intresting signing, no from roma their shite, is diego milito still in serie a?

9, leading scorer?

gomez or fabiano or etoo or higuain or pirlo maybe....

10, euro comps?

whats the fooking point, im not good enuf to win either of em...
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Ten things we didn't already know   Ten things we didn't already know Icon_minitimeSun Aug 29, 2010 6:50 pm

Chelsea top four again, Cremonese 6th or better

What is your 'acid test' Fixture?

Man City, p lymouth, Newcastle, Ac Milan

Most important player for the coming season?

Frank Lampard, Tranquillo Barnetta

Do you anticipate any tacticle changes?

no

Which of your summer signings do you need to settle the quickest?

Aquilani

Which piece of summer business are you happiest with?

Aquilani

Which of your players will be in your starting 11 for week 1, but you hope he doesn't feature in week 22.

Carlo Cudicini

Given a magic wand, which of your rivals (in your division) players would you like to see in your clubs colours?

Michel Essien

Who will finish as leading scorer in your division?

Rooney

Are you planning on entering European competition?

Yep

Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Ten things we didn't already know   Ten things we didn't already know Icon_minitimeSun Aug 29, 2010 7:12 pm

What is a 'good season' for your clubs?

Fulham - Survive, its gonna be tough
Vecenza - top half finish

Fulham - boro, reading and Blackburn home, these are thee teams i need to be putting away if im to stay clear of a relegation dog fight.
Vicenza - perugia, excellent side, and would be a good indicator of how the season could unfold.

Fulham- Tiago - neeeds to carry on protecting that back four that are no doubt going to get some very stern tests

Vicenza - Demy de Zeuuw

Both - maybe, theres a couple of ideas iv got but need the right personel first, nothing too major tho.

Fulham - what summer signings?The addition of Skrtel came to late for the play offs last year but he'll be a welcome addition to the back 4.

Vicenza - Loic Remy , needs to pick up the goalscoring mantle that gignac has left.

Fulham - Skrtel

Vicenza - the best has yet to come

Which of your players will be in your starting 11 for week 1, but you hope he doesn't feature in week 22.

Fulham - Viana, the little misfit / magician has somehow made himself undropable such has been his partnership with his portugese compatriot Tiago, so im kinda hoping the likes of plymouth and newcastle give me suffucient reason to drop the little oik - im sure they will

Vicenza - my goalkeeper, no idea who he is

Given a magic wand, which of your rivals (in your division) players would you like to see in your clubs colours?

Fulham - Rooney or tevez

Vicenza - that kid mark at perugia has that the one world is after romula lukalula or whatever his name is, excellent talent

see the above

no, not a chance too much to focus on in the league but im not sure if i might have to as i plan on getting a season ticket.
Back to top Go down
Tom@Charlton
World Star - 99/99
World Star - 99/99
Tom@Charlton

PostSubject: Re: Ten things we didn't already know   Ten things we didn't already know Icon_minitimeSat Aug 20, 2011 11:21 pm

A year on, I wish I had added my thoughts on this topic.

Quite amusing to read some of the answers!! Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Tom@Charlton
World Star - 99/99
World Star - 99/99
Tom@Charlton

PostSubject: Re: Ten things we didn't already know   Ten things we didn't already know Icon_minitimeSun Aug 21, 2011 11:12 am

Will@Fulham wrote:

no, not a chance too much to focus on in the league but im not sure if i might have to as i plan on getting a season ticket.

lol!
Back to top Go down
Phil@Watford
World Star - 99/99
World Star - 99/99
Phil@Watford

Order Sheet
CLUB:

PostSubject: Re: Ten things we didn't already know   Ten things we didn't already know Icon_minitimeSun Aug 21, 2011 11:40 am

Certainly not what has happened, i was hoping survival would be easier for me. Not hoping on other results to go my way. But I shall be hoping for a good week!

Q2. Acid test fixture?
Well that would have to be man city and Newcastle as my season depends on the next two fixtures! And abit disappointed not to have beaten richs brum!

That was tevez... top scorer in the league but hasn't been enough to keep myself mid table. Rvp will be just as important in the following season.

Yes I do, I'm currently playing a basic mix tactic and I need to find a formation for the next season. Since fas got shafted lol.

Lass diarra, injured atm. And Rvp both need to get settled for next season. Not sure where they're gonna be playing or what formation.

So far ? Rvp be a 3year saga with mark but I've finaly got him!

Well it was almunia n Hleb well I've got szcesny to take over almunia and Hleb is still there finding it hard to get a player that will improve my squad in the way I want it toon but u never know what's around the corner!

I originally said I'd need a better gk. And that's probs still the case. But I wouldn't object to robben or modric if I'm honest.

I backed Rooney or tevez and there both up there. Still two games to go so shall see who ends the season better!

I've played in Europa league twice and enjoyed myself but I'd rather the challenge of facing the elite in the champions league!
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Ten things we didn't already know   Ten things we didn't already know Icon_minitimeSun Aug 21, 2011 7:25 pm

bloody hell!!!

fancy not wanting to enter europe, well i was young and neive back then. lol

The biggest achievment though has to be not just getting rid of Hugo Viana but palming the greasey little oik onto jaimie!!!! lol

cant believe that was this season.

jees Loic remy didnt last long.

and man do i now regret not trying to prize that kid who name kept escaping me, some lukaka kid off mark
Back to top Go down
Tom@Charlton
World Star - 99/99
World Star - 99/99
Tom@Charlton

PostSubject: Re: Ten things we didn't already know   Ten things we didn't already know Icon_minitimeSun Aug 21, 2011 8:35 pm

Oi! I own that oik now!

Nothing wrong with the 9797 little magician!
Back to top Go down
Jamie@Watford
International 94/94
International 94/94

PostSubject: Re: Ten things we didn't already know   Ten things we didn't already know Icon_minitimeSun Aug 21, 2011 10:41 pm

9797! Definitely a bug in the system!
Back to top Go down
Tom@Charlton
World Star - 99/99
World Star - 99/99
Tom@Charlton

PostSubject: Re: Ten things we didn't already know   Ten things we didn't already know Icon_minitimeSun Aug 21, 2011 11:21 pm

Sorry, my mistake.

Back to top Go down
Rob@Barcelona
World Star - 99/99
World Star - 99/99
Rob@Barcelona

PostSubject: Re: Ten things we didn't already know   Ten things we didn't already know Icon_minitimeSun Aug 21, 2011 11:21 pm

Rob@Inter wrote:
A1. Inter - top 3 and a win in the Coppa Italia or in Europe. A dream season would be to lift the Scudetto. Boca - the league and cup double should be a no brainer and not hitting the treble would be a disappointment.

A. Away games at Milan, Empoli, Roma, Juve, Napoli and Cremonese. I must get points away from home at the big teams. Boca - the Libertadores final.

A. Eto'o for his goals. And over at Boca it's Mati Fernandez.

A. No. With more options I'd like to refine a plan B using the pace of Pato and Ramires.

A. van der Vaart is key he's got to hit the ground running. Over at Boca Mati Fernandez has to own the League from week 1.

A. Andrea Poli coming in as a swap for Rene Krhin. And bringing in Lloris as a back up keeper is an amazing safety net.

A. Wow ... tough one. Maybe Marchisio. I would like a stronger DL.

A. Ummmmmm. Probably Pirlo.

A. Ibra or Eto'o or could be Higuain or Aguero, maybe Milito, possibly Fabiano .............. Hold on forgot Quagliarella, Gilardino, Borriello. Italy is tough.

A. That's the point of building a squad. The idea of getting beaten by Plymouth, Real, Barca or Schalke is what the game is all about.

All pretty accurate except for 4 and 5. v.d. Vaart, Ramires and Pato are all gone and I've started playing a wider more expansive game with Nani and Di Maria. and as for question 8 .... Pirlo is pulling the strings at PM.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Ten things we didn't already know   Ten things we didn't already know Icon_minitimeMon Aug 22, 2011 7:55 am

A1. Went straight through League 1 like it didnt exist. Conceded 4 goals at home all year and won the title at a canter. Hurst a distant third in a two horse race, asking me for favours against the giants that are Wolves. Arrogance mode engaged. Deployed.

Chievo have become Real Betis. Which is a bit odd, because when I left Chievo I was 4th in the table on a 6 game winning streak and looking a good bet for promotion. Moved everything to Betis 2 weeks ago...to find myself languishing a distant bottom of the table...however 2 very good wins against Mallorca and Valencia have given Betis a fighting chance of escaping the drop. (Although given he didn't mention Betis were floundering...I'll be having the gamesmaster re-instate them on principle...would like to get out of trouble the correct way though!)

Looking forward immensely now to the Spanish top flight. I can really identify with Spanish football alot easier than I can with Italian. Makes watching Villareal v Sevilla on a sunday night, alot more appealing. Cant wait. In fact, I did my Betis turn this week before I did my Foxes....very odd!

A. Pompey away I think. It should determine the season, if I don't take 3/4 points from Pompey then I think I'll struggle to go up automatically.

- Were Pompey in the division?. Acid test fixture was Charlton away...got a point. Happy. In fairness the switch around of the FAS tactic and the demise of Ryan Babel had as much to do with Leicester's success as it did with Charlton's demise. Even when faced with switching tactics half way through the year, Tom's put up a great fight in the face of adversity.

It was Pavlyuchenko. Ironically he's not been fit to feature in at least 6 games, and without Kevin Davies, the foxes would have suffered immeasurably. Ji-Sung Park has also been a revelation and Carrick has just been quality all year.

Q4. Do you anticipate any tacticle changes?
Who needs Plan B when Plan A is unstoppable?.

Carrick made his debut in week 3, and literally ran the show from then on in. Worked like a charm. Even when he was man marked.

David Dunn for a million quid was a great signing, but he's struggled to make an impact. Ji-Sung Park has made the right hand side his own and Dunn has struggled to get in the side. Although with the arrival of Scott Brown, we may be looking at a central pivotal role for Park next next time out.

Kevin Davies for £150,000 is the steal of the year. 12 goals, loads of assists and still going strong at 33.

Bougherra is still here at CB but must be replaced this summer. Zokora went out in exchange for Park, which has been a great bit of business. It took me 3 reviews to get Paul to give him 7 SP for a guy that's started both Utd's recent CL finals...but got there in the end.

Not sure that Becks has had the impact this season that he seemed to have last. Without a doubt now, it's Wilshere...super piece of business from Tom, even though nobody knows how he did it! more cloak and daggers at the Valley, enough to hold a murder mystery party.

A. Kezman was shipped out early...and Pav can still do it.

I did enter. Wish I hadnt. Was a pointless and futile exercise. Will definitely be entering Betis this year...looking forward to that.

That was interesting Tom, well plucked out.

Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Ten things we didn't already know   Ten things we didn't already know Icon_minitimeMon Aug 22, 2011 11:29 am

Rich@Leicester wrote:

A1. Went straight through League 1 like it didnt exist.

you did that first time round too!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

cheers cheers cheers cheers cheers cheers cheers
Back to top Go down
Tom
World Star - 99/99
World Star - 99/99

PostSubject: Re: Ten things we didn't already know   Ten things we didn't already know Icon_minitimeMon Aug 22, 2011 11:54 am

i dare'nt look at mine
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Ten things we didn't already know   Ten things we didn't already know Icon_minitimeMon Aug 22, 2011 12:29 pm

Gaz@Chelsea wrote:

Chelsea top four again, Cremonese 6th or better

Well Chelsea went completely tits up and it a case of bottom 4 which is frustrating as i kept a settled side and same tactic but it just did'nt work for some reason, Cremonese are currently 6th and chugging along nicely like i expected them to and are in the Copa Italia final so pleased with them

Man City, p lymouth, Newcastle, Ac Milan

These were as expected and not a lot was taken from them except Chelsea got a point at Newcastle and that was it.

Frank Lampard, Tranquillo Barnetta

Lampard has been superb as always and Barnetta has pretty much run the show at Cremonese who will be known as Sampdoria next season.

no

Drastic measures were taken and changed to ATT which has seen fortunes turn slightly and still a glimmer of hope that Chelsea may stay up. Cremonese have played FAS all season

Aquilani

Aquilani was moved to PM where he started to put in some great peformances so i did what all good managers do and sold him as part of a deal for Suarez who has been absolutely superb since he came in and luckily i have been in a position to fend off bids for him.

Aquilani

He did'nt last long so it was down to Suarez

Carlo Cudicini

He's gone after a turn where both my keepers ratings were slashed in the same week.

Michel Essien

Essien has'nt arrived and its not looking likely but did get Ramires so i'm very happy with that.

Rooney

I think he is up there. to be honest i have'nt looked

Yep

I entered the Europa league and didnt even get out the group against some truely shocking teams who i could only muster a 1-0 win and 0-0 draws against......i'll be going back for it next year though.

Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Ten things we didn't already know   Ten things we didn't already know Icon_minitimeTue Aug 23, 2011 7:42 am

Will@Fulham wrote:
Rich@Leicester wrote:

A1. Went straight through League 1 like it didnt exist.

you did that first time round too!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

cheers cheers cheers cheers cheers cheers cheers

Even I laughed at that. Wanker.
Back to top Go down

Ten things we didn't already know
Page 1 of 1